Criterion Collection: Parasite/ Gisaengchung (2019) BR
A zeitgeist-defining sensation that distilled a global reckoning over class inequality into a tour de force of pop-cinema subversion, Bong Joon Ho’s genre-scrambling black-comic thriller confirms his status as one of the world’s foremost filmmakers.
Two families in Seoul—one barely scraping by in a dank semibasement in a low-lying neighborhood, the other living in luxury in a modern architectural marvel overlooking the city—find themselves on a collision course that will lay bare the dark contradictions of capitalism with shocking ferocity.
A bravura showcase for its director’s meticulously constructed set pieces, bolstered by a brilliant ensemble cast and stunning production design, Parasite cemented the New Korean Cinema as a full-fledged international force when it swept almost every major prize from Cannes to the Academy Awards, where it made history as the first non-English-language film to win the Oscar for best picture.
Director-Approved Two-Blu-Ray special edition features.
• New 4K digital master, approved by director Bong Joon Ho and director of photography Hong Kyung Pyo, with Dolby Atmos soundtrack
• New audio commentary featuring Bong and critic Tony Rayns
• Black-and-white version of the film with a new introduction by Bong, and Dolby Atmos soundtrack
• New conversation between Bong and critic Darcy Paquet
• New interviews with Hong, production designer Lee Ha Jun, and editor Yang Jinmo • New program about the New Korean Cinema movement featuring Bong and filmmaker Park Chan Wook (Oldboy)
• Cannes Film Festival press conference from 2019 featuring Bong and members of the cast
• Master class featuring Bong from the 2019 Lumière Festival in Lyon, France
• Storyboard comparison
• Plus: An essay by critic Inkoo Kang.
|Director 導演||Bong Joon Ho|