Criterion Collection: The Complete Films of Agnès Varda BR Boxset
A founder of the French New Wave who became an international art-house icon, Agnès Varda was a fiercely independent, restlessly curious visionary whose work was at once personal and passionately committed to the world around her.
In an abundant career in which she never stopped expanding the notion of what a movie can be, Varda forged a unique cinematic vocabulary that frequently blurs the boundaries between narrative and documentary, and entwines loving portraits of her friends, her family, and her own inner world with a social consciousness that was closely attuned to the 1960s counterculture, the women’s liberation movement, the plight of the poor and socially marginalized, and the ecology of our planet.
This comprehensive collection places Varda’s filmography in the context of her parallel work as a photographer and multimedia artist—all of it a testament to the radical vision, boundless imagination, and radiant spirit of a true original for whom every act of creation was a vital expression of her very being.
FIFTEEN-BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION COLLECTOR’S SET FEATURES
• Digital restorations of thirty-nine films, including the first home-video presentations of Les créatures, Jacquot de Nantes, and the television series Agnès de ci de là Varda
• Introductions by director Agnès Varda
• Nausicaa, a once-banned 1970 television film directed by Varda
• New programs featuring actor Jane Birkin; Varda’s children, Mathieu Demy and Rosalie Varda; and scholar Kelley Conway
• Segments directed by Varda from the 1983 French television program Une minute pour une image
• Programs on Varda’s work as a visual artist, including Quelques veuves de Noirmoutier, a 2006 television presentation of one of her installations
• Over seven hours of archival programs featuring Varda, many of them also directed by her
• Archival interviews and tributes featuring Varda’s friends, family, and key collaborators
• Rare footage from unfinished features and commercials
• Behind-the-scenes footage, video essays, and trailers
• PLUS: A lavishly illustrated 200-page book, featuring notes on the films and essays on Varda’s life and work by writers Amy Taubin, Michael Koresky, Ginette Vincendeau, So Mayer, Alexandra Hidalgo, and Rebecca Bengal, as well as a selection of Varda’s photography and images of her installation art PROGRAMS AND FILMS Agnès Forever — Varda by Agnès (2019), Les 3 boutons (2015) Early Varda — La Pointe Courte (1955), Ô saisons, ô châteaux (1958), Du côté de la côte (1958) Around Paris — Cléo from 5 to 7 (1962), Les fiancés du pont Macdonald (1962), L’opéra-mouffe (1958), Les dites cariatides (1984), T'as de beaux escaliers, tu sais (1986) Rue Daguerre — Daguerréotypes (1975), Le lion volatil (2003) Married Life — Le bonheur (1965), Les créatures (1966), Elsa la Rose (1966) In California — Uncle Yanco (1968), Black Panthers (1970), Lions Love (. . . and Lies) (1969), Mur Murs (1981), Documenteur (1981) Her Body, Herself — One Sings, the Other Doesn't (1977), Réponse de femmes (1975), Plaisir d'amour en Iran (1977) No Shelter — Vagabond (1985), 7 p., cuis., s. de b. . . . (à saisir) (1985) Jane B. — Jane B. par Agnès V. (1988), Kung-Fu Master! (1988) Jacques Demy — Jacquot de Nantes (1991), The Young Girls Turn 25 (1993), The World of Jacques Demy (1995) Simon Cinéma — One Hundred and One Nights (1995) La glaneuse — The Gleaners and I (2000), The Gleaners and I: Two Years Later (2002) Visual Artist — Faces Places,. codirected with JR (2017), Salut les cubains (1964), Ulysse (1982), Ydessa, les ours et etc. . . . (2004) Here and There — Agnès de ci de là Varda (2011) Beaches — The Beaches of Agnès (2008)
|Director 導演||Agnès Varda|